Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Christian Hand Holders

I attended the Passion Conference last week, and learned many valuable things. I could get real spiritual and talk about those instances, or I could embrace the observations I made about Christian Couples Vs. New/Regular Couples holding hands. Hey, that sounds like fun! Let's do that.

Zach, Lynette and I were sitting down at the GWCC and we started to People Watch. There were College students from all over the country and the world. It was fun to watch. them interact with each other. I zeroed in on the couples. When I looked carefully, I started to notice something interesting. Almost every single couple we passed held hands with their fingers interlocking. Then I started to think what interlocking fingers meant. To me, interlocking fingers mean that there is a deeper sense of connection. Not just the physical, but the emotional as well. In most Christian relationships, faith is more openly discussed and valued. Because of that, they interlock fingers as a symbol of trust and completeness in their relationship with God and each other.

I thought to myself, "Maybe I'm crazy! Let's see if I can disprove my theory." I kept looking at the couples, and I found a couple who wasn't interlocking their fingers. The funny thing was that once the girl's cell phone rang, she immediately let go of his hand, answered the phone, and ignored him. That led me to think that they may not have the best relationship. Then there were couples who had one finger interlocking. They seemed uncomfortable being around each other and acted like this hand holding thing was a test...their relationship was in the beginning stages.

Then I saw some girls holding hands. You know what? They weren't interlocking! Although girls can show their affection toward each other better than guys can, they still didn't interlock because there was something about that oneness and togetherness that they couldn't have. If you notice too that when guys hold hands when their group is praying, they NEVER interlock. If they do, it's because it's a joke. It makes me uncomfortable thinking about guys interlocking hands, and I know that most guys would agree with me.

Look at couples holding hands. Look at people holding hands. You can learn a lot about people by the way they hold hands. Or you can just make up random theories and sound kinda smart!

No comments: