Saturday, June 16, 2007

If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat

I have just finished this book by John Ortberg called, "If You Want to Walk on Water, You've Got to Get Out of the Boat." It's kind of funny how I heard of this book. During my Freshman Year of High School which was about 6 years ago (Wow I feel old...), Amy Haywood used this book as part of a devotion she was doing for the Youth Group. I remember thinking that this would be a fun book to read...WHEN I WAS READY! The fact of getting out of the boat then scared me beyond all reason. It's a good thing I read it now, even though it is still kinda tough to think about.

One of the greatest quotes in the book has to deal with the way we treat God. It says;

"When human beings shrink God, they offer Prayer without Faith, Work without Passion, Service without Joy, Suffering without Hope. It results in fear, retreat, loss of vision, and a failure to persevere."

This quote challenges me to answer the question, "How big is your God?" If you think about all the problems with stuff in our lives, decisions to be made, it is all dependent on how big our God is. If we all did as Peter did and took that step of faith out of the boat, we too could walk on water. Sure he sank and Jesus had to save him, but how many other men on that boat even thought about doing what Peter did?

Just remember. If you want to walk on water, you've got to get out of the boat.

No comments: