Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hong Kong - Day Four

Hey Everyone:

Today was a really great day. Lynette and her mom finally got in last night! They were stuck in Tokyo for a couple of days, and we were worried that they would not be able to make it. Yet when I went to breakfast this morning, I saw both of them. So that was good thing #1 that happened today!

I was just planning on relaxing, getting on the Internet, and going over today's lesson. What ended up happening is Pete and Jason (we call him Vanover) convinced me to go with them to Hong Kong Island and look around. At first I was like, "I don't know about this..." but Pete reminded me that it's not like I am in Hong Kong a lot. So I went with them. Good thing #2 that happened was I was able to see the Subway system. LOTS OF PEOPLE but it was a fast rail and everything was very efficient. When we finally made it to where we were going, we went exploring around. Good thing #2 that happened was we went into this meat market like-place and saw this couple who were scaling, de-gutting, and preparing a fish. The man put the fish-head up so I could take a picture, and then he held an entire fish for me. Because this couple was so nice, they took pictures with all of us. It was crazy seeing him prepare that fish (sent some shivers done my spine to be honest), but it was awesome. Good thing #3 that happened (other than seeing all the business shops and people) was going to Victoria Park. I took a picture of me doing some Tai-Chi as well as a picture of some people doing the same. It was a lot of walking that entire trip, but it was well worth it.

However VBS on top of the morning I had was amazing. Today we tried out a new type of arrangement where the kids did not have to be in the classroom for an hour or more, and the music rotation did not fall into the closing celebration. We also played some intentional games before we started so the kids would not be too hyper when we began Boomerang Express. This helped tremendously. My Peter portion was a lot more dramatic than yesterday. Some of the younger kids didn't respond as well, but I was told the older ones did.

As far as the classroom goes, I thank God for Lynette getting here, for Courtney's leadership, and for all the adults that have given their time to help volunteer. It has been a great help especially since we have a very spirited classroom with some excited children!

We are about to eat at the Peak in a little while. It's a very nice restaurant that overlooks the place. Here are some things that you can pray for me about

  1. Biblical Drama: Peter is giving the story of the last supper, Jesus' Crucifixion, and his Resurrection. It's some deep stuff and it needs to keep their attention as well as be understandable and meaningful.
  2. Bible Study Hour: We are going over the ABC's of becoming a Christian.
  3. Strength: Physical/Spiritual strength for our group.

Thank you, and I hope you have a great rest of the day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

if u get a chance, check ur fbook for a video

Jenny said...

Hey Scott. Your blogs have been such a joy to read and I'm so glad you're enjoying Hong Kong and seeing God do great things through you guys. I will continue to pray for you and the team and especially for your prayer requests. It's interesting that you brought up whether behavior management is universal. I laughed because I think the same thing when I'm sitting in my classes on behavior management.