Friday, July 31, 2009

Hong Kong -Day 6 & 7

Hey Everyone!

I'm sorry I didn't blog earlier, but I just didn't have any time. I was trying to think of what I did yesterday morning and for the life of me, I can not remember. So I will start with VBS yesterday, what we did that night, and then move on to today.

Day 6:

Today was the day after we gave the plan of salvation. This is usually an interesting day because you are still following up on those who have questions and trying to clarify things that were a little confusing the day before. My drama went pretty well. This week I have really tried to use props and play around with "the stage." I used chairs in a circle to represent me talking with the disciples, I used two chairs (one-on-one) when Peter was supposed to be talking with Jesus, and I used the net and the entire stage. I think it went pretty well. As Zach said, "Scott and I are supposed to set everybody up for the Bible Study." Our Bible Study went pretty well. I have just gotten used to the fact that we need to teach between the disruptions and repetition and games are the best ways to do it.

That night, I went with several people from our group to a Mexican restaurant. Several of the people in our group were craving Mexican food, and that sounded good to me. I enjoyed eating Chinese food don't misunderstand, but I would be okay if I didn't see Dimsum again. After we ate, we went to the Ladies market which is this outdoor market that spans 3-4 blocks. It has practically everything imaginable to purchase there. I got some things. I haggled once bringing it down 4 Hong Kong Dollars and then other times they haggled with me. There was this one item I was looking at and I asked, "How much for this?" She said, "250 Hong Kong Dollars." I walked away. She shouted, "225....200......150......100!" When she said 100 I said, "Okay, you got a deal!" If you think of it in American dollars, that is basically like going from 36 dollars to 14 dollars. Part of the fun is the deal. I don't like to haggle, but it was fun to do once in a while.

Day 7:

Today was our last day of VBS. As I am writing this we are waiting to go back for Family Night, and there we will present ICM with our mission offering. I will tell you what it is another time because I want to wait for it to be official.

I started off my day with an adventure. Pete, Vanover (Jason), Courtney and I all went to Lama Island today. Basically what happens is you go to Hong Kong Island, take a fast-boat/ferry to there (25-30 minutes) and then you hike around the island. This is a nice place to get away from the city and see the mountains, trees, and nature. So we got there and we HIKED up and around this mountain. I think we agreed that it was close to 3 miles and believe me when I say this. When I say, "We hiked up-hill, both ways" that is not a lie! Once we got closer to the Pier it started going downhill, but most of the hike was up the mountain. I got some B-E-A-UTIFUL pictures here, and it was a great experience. Although I feel almost dead today because of the workout.

Then we went to VBS. The Nepalese women said they would cook lunch for us. I will tell you this right now. I didn't know what Nepalese food was or if it was any good but if it is like anything I had this afternoon, it may be my favorite. There was lamb with curry, rice with vegetables, Nepalese spaghetti, apple pie, rice pudding, bread, chicken wings, it was delightful. (I promise this whole blog won't be about food. It's just close to dinner time here, and it was what's on my mind). Then we started VBS. I felt like my drama was kind of going through the motions, but Jason told me that he thought it went well. I had to do it over Acts 12 where Peter gets arrested, an angel breaks him out, he goes to a friends, Rhoda doesn't answer the door because she's so excited, Peter sees them, tells them about stuff, and then leaves (those are the Scott-notes). It was kind of hard to figure how to do it, but it happened. I also did lead-teach today where we did a balloon game and a couple things with scripture. I won't lie...teaching this week has been exhausting. But I think they got something out of it. Even if it is just the fact that Jesus loves them, that's good for me.

I am about to head out now. Please pray for our family night. Also pray for our trip home. It's a L-O-N-G flight. "How long is it?" "Why it's so long that I was able to read the dictionary and still have time to hit myself with a frying pan to see if I can see stars!" I'm sorry that was bad. I'm kinda tired.

I hope you all are having a great day, and I will see you soon in the states!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hey, I hope family night went well and that you had a safe flight home. I hadn't had a chance to read your blog as much as I'd have liked but thanks for posting! I've been able to experience all that God's doing through you.