Sunday, September 05, 2010

The Oath & Other things

Hey Everyone!

I have been meaning to read this author for quite some time. I am always a little hesitant to try out new authors, but this one seemed interesting. So I went to McKay's, bought this book for 50 cents (quite a deal) and read it. I must say...I should have read his stuff earlier! It was not only entertaining, but it was very thought-provoking. I don't really want to give the story away, so I will just tell you the part of it that really got me thinking and I thought was interesting.

This town of Hyde River has a curse. If you keep doing bad things, then a black spot appears over your heart. It hurts at first and if you don't take care of the problem, then it doesn't hurt and it starts to stain with tar and it smells like a dead animal. The person doesn't notice, becomes oblivious to reality, and then it is then marked for Hyde River's biggest secret. It started off small but when more and more people got marked, it fed off them and got bigger. There is only one way to defeat it. The battle cannot be won with guns, knives, or any conventional weapons, but with something - or rather someone - else (Do you see the symbolism?). Critics say that be basically started a new genre of "Christian Horror," and my personal thoughts are that you should go about it like a book talking about the end times. If you are in the right, then you have nothing to worry about!

Things have been going good here. I am working at Legalbill for the time being. It's a good job that I enjoy, so it's great to have for the time being. Other than that, I have started Lifegroups with my now 10th grade guys and I am also helping out in a children Sunday school class (1st grade). Both have been really good. I haven't officially taught in my Lifegroup yet, but I'll be doing that this week and also a little bit at Genesis Weekend this coming Saturday and Sunday. I had my first official teaching (meaning I put it and executed it by myself) with the first graders this past Sunday. It went very well. For the record though, I must admit this. If this past year has taught me anything it is that, "...and he who walks in pride he is able to humble" (Daniel 4:37). I realize that this past weekend and other times with my Lifegroup were only successful because it was God working through me. So, I will try not to be so prideful in the future.

Other than that, not a whole lot more going on with me. I've started some new...not really obsessions but engaged interests...in several different things. One is that I started to watch a lot of different Vloggers on You Tube. I always thought, "I don't really want to watch people just give their opinions and talk about life." Yet when I started to watch a couple, I couldn't help myself! I want the official NFL season to start already. The Titans have a really good team this year, and I am also excited to see how other teams will do as well. I think some of the NFL players need to get over themselves. I won't mention names, but they know who they are!

I hope that this finds you well. Have a great rest of the day!

No comments: