Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hong Kong Day 3 (2012)

Hello Everyone!

I have some good news and bad news.  The good news is that our luggage came tonight!  The bad news is that only 6 of 7 bags came.  Our poor Hannah was the one bag we were missing :-(  We knew we would be one bag short because they said they only got six, but Zach and I were hoping we would be missing a supply bag and not someone's personal bag.  The good thing is that they weren't sure which one was missing, so after we were able to confirm it and give them the number and the bag description, they should be able to find it easier.  So let's hope we can get that resolved soon.

Now to talk about what we did today.  Because the church has to meet elsewhere during the summer and they cannot meet at their usual place, they had to find a place to have their service.  They did find a place but they could only use it at 4pm, so we had a lot of time in between.  We jam packed it with a lot of different stuff, so I'll try to include as much as I can (A side note real quick about these blogs: I am limited with the amount of internet time I have.  I don't have time to proof read these like I want to, so please bear with me if I misspell it doesn't make sense :-D)

The first thing we did today was go to a Daoist temple.  It felt kind of weird going to this kind of temple on a Sunday morning, but I knew I was going to church afterward so it was okay.  This was my 3rd or 4th time going, but it still gets me all the time about the idolatry and false worship that is going on here.  It was VERY crowded today too.  This was one of the things on the trip that I think every new team member should see.  I know I look at the whole concept of Idolatry and the way it mentions it in the Bible differently now that I have seen a physical representation of it.

After the temple, we went to...this pier or something (I'm a little tired, so you need to give me a little grace on this).  It was really cool because we were able to take a boat ride and see more of the island/shore of HK.  We were able to stop at this little island that was evangelized by Catholic Missionaries from a long time ago.  Not many people live there anymore because there used to be salt farms, but it either got destroyed or the resources were used up by a certain time.  The cool thing about that island was that after the Catholic missionaries got there and set up a church, I think the whole island eventually became Christians!  Good stuff.

After the Boat ride, we ate some fresh seafood.  When I say fresh...I mean fresh.  We sat in outside of the restaurant and were able to pick our food from the tanks.  The thing was these weren't in the tanks very long because we asked the waitress where they came from and she pointed to a boat that was docked!  We had boiled shrimp, scallops, fish, etc. right from that ocean.  They all had the heads and eyes, but it was still good.  I also had a sense of satisfaction knowing that I got revenge on a fish that I felt was giving me dirty looks.  Whose giving dirty looks now?!?

Then came time for the church service.  It was held in a school gymnasium and was a bilingual service.  Usually they have a chinese service and an english service separately, but during the summer they combine because they have people out of town, people traveling, new people in for summer, etc., and this just works better.  It was great to be with the church family and get prayed for the rest of the week.

Things to pray for
-Hannah's luggage
-VBS Starts tomorrow
-Weather
-Jet Lag
-Volunteers

Thanks, and have a great rest of the day!

Scott

No comments: