Saturday, July 28, 2012

Hong Kong Days 8 & 9 (2012)

Hello Everyone!

I hope that you all are doing well.  I must admit that I am pretty tired right now and it is kind of late, so hopefully this post will make sense and not sound like gibberish or crazy rambling.  If it does, I give you my sincere apologies!

Yesterday (7/27) was our last day at VBS.  I started off thinking that I wouldn't have that many kids, but I ended up having one of my biggest classes that day.  When we were reviewing the story, some of the kids were able to tell them word-for-word, but really how I would describe that day again would be organized chaos.  I decided to embrace it so I focused on the story and review in the morning, and several small group activities relating to Bible Skills in the later part.  When it was over with, I was exhausted.  With family night coming up after that, I wasn't sure if I would have the energy.

Family night was I thought a big success!  We had probably 350-400 people there (including kids) and I thought that the format and everything was really professional and structured well.  The pastor of CBIBC would tell the theme and verse of the day, and then the kids would sing the song for that day.  We proceeded to do that for all the themes/verses/songs for the remaining 4 days.  Then the pastor gave a message, Amy came up and talked about missions, and we dismissed for refreshments.  The funny thing to me at the end were the kids that asked to take a picture with me.  In each class you have those kids that just give you the most trouble.  I had three of those, even though everyone contributed.  However, two of them (the other one wasn't there that night) came and asked me for pictures and thanked me for teaching!  Then another kid who I couldn't get to say 1 word to me came up and asked me for a picture.  It's amazing how God works. I'm finding that when working with boys sometimes just being present and available is half the battle.  I feel like I could talk about this more but I have a time limit...

Today (7/28) we went to Macau.  Like Hong Kong, it is a Special Administrative Region (was given to China in the handover as well) and it also benefits from the "one country two systems" way of life that Hong Kong also lives by. It was really fun, but very hot.  We saw the ruins of St. Paul's Cathedral, went to a museum, saw the grave and chapel of Robert Morrison - he was one of the pioneers to bring the gospel to the chinese people...even helping with a translation.  It was great.  I could go on about it but I am short of time.

Things to pray for
-Church tomorrow (we are presenting to the church what we did)
-Health (Fatigue and personally my stomach has been acting horribly the past couple of days)
-Travel
-Safety

Thanks, and have a great day!

 Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bud:

It sounds like you did have an amazing week, although chaotic, and made an impression on the children with God's Word.
I hope you can rest and I hope your stomach settles down.

Love you.

Mom