Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Hong Kong 2010 (Day 5)

Hello Everyone!


I am on a break right now before we go to the peak, so I thought I would go ahead and let you know how my day was and some ways to pray for us (and me).

Today was the second day of VBS. We had 3 more kids come to Courtney and I's class, so we had 11 today for the 5th-Preteen group! Today was a pretty tough day. It was raining this morning (and will probably rain the rest of the week) and that is tough from several different standpoints. One is that you have to re-think recreation and outdoor activities, the kids are typically more talkative and hyper, and it kind of drains your energy a little bit. I am personally having trouble trying to figure out how to effectively speak/teach to this group. I think that their English is good enough to read/write/and even communicate, but it seems like there is either something lost in translation or it is not getting through completely. It may be getting through and I just don't know it, but it just seems like they are having trouble retaining some of the information. The good thing is though we are building some good relationships with the kids and the volunteers, so I think we are gaining their trust.

The biggest thing to think about now is that tomorrow we are giving the plan of salvation. This is the hardest day of VBS. A lot of times on mission trips, this just typically seems to be the day where either a lot of different things go wrong or your attitude is just out of whack or just something hits you harder this day than on the others. I found out today that I am going to give a monologue as Zaccheus talking about what happened between Jesus and I. I am a little nervous because I just found out and I will also be telling them a story that is very important. I haven't written anything yet. I plan on reading the story several times and hopefully coming up with an outline of what I'll do. I just don't have that much time to do it...

Things to pray for:

1) VBS Team and Volunteers for tomorrow

2) My monologue

3) Kids coming to VBS

4) That even if something goes wrong, we don't let it get to us.


Thanks, and have a great rest of the day!


Scott

1 comment:

Mom said...

Bud: I know that your day is over for VBS but I pray that the kids hearts were touched. Just remember, God uses everything that happens for His plan. Love, Mom