Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hong Kong 2010 (Day 9)

Hey Everyone!!!

Today was my last day in Hong Kong. It was very bittersweet. I am looking forward to seeing friends and family and sleeping in my own bed, but I am going to miss all my team members who are going to their respective homes and my friends from Hong Kong (both of whom seem like family now). But looking on the bright side, let me tell you about what I did today.

Today we got to sleep in (PRAISE JESUS) before we went somewhere. As a group, we decided that we would go to Lantau Island to see the world's largest Buddha. The trip itself was an experience. We got on the MTR for a while and then we went on the Cable Car. I'll try to insert some pictures from that when I get a chance. I have never been so high up in the air but yet also felt so peaceful. Part of me was screaming inside because of the heights but I calmed myself down after a minute or two. After that, we finally made it to the place. I got to see a Kung-Fu presentation going on and after that we went up to see the Big Buddha. We went up about 100 steps or so and finally made it. Courtney said it best, "I felt like Po at the very end of Kung Fu Panda." Now this Buddha was huge! I got some pictures of it, but it may not do it justice. The interesting thing about this was there was a quote inside the building that said, "China has always been a place where freedom of religion has been protected for it's citizens." Interesting...

After we saw the Big Buddha, we made our way back for the BBQ at Thomas' house. He is a missionary/children's minister who helped put this whole thing together. We ate lots of food, sang songs, and just shared about how God was working this week. It made me feel like this is what the church in Acts must have been like.

Now, I need to go and pack for my flight tomorrow. I have a four hour lay-over in Newark, so that will be awesome! I will blog back when I get to the states to wrap up things. Thanks for following my blog. Sorry I couldn't be more detailed because of the time constraint.

Please play for all flight preparations tomorrow!

No comments: